Monday, October 03, 2005

Passed Over

I was more than a little steamed this morning when Harriet Miers was announced as the latest Supreme Court nominee. It should have been me. But, I was told by Andy Card that I was "over-qualified."

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"You know, the degrees from good schools. The Phi Beta Kappa key --"

"But, I lost that. I don't --"

"Whatever. Listen, K, there are other factors. I mean you can read and write. You can spell. Frankly, I think you would have been bored in the position. Frankly, if Justice Kennedy could read, he probably would have clawed his eyes out of his head from boredom."

But, I'll never forget my interview with Bush. Actually, most of it was forgettable. Except this exchange.

"So, Kay-ee" that was his cute, clever nickname for me, "I hear your parents are immigrants."

"Yes, sir."

"So, they enjoy their taste of American freedom?"

"Oh, very much, sir. Well, they can do without the chalkiness on the backend. And my Dad thinks its a little bit salty, but he thinks everything is too salty. But, otherwise, they think their freedom tastes great."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on, man. Everyone knows they picked Harriet Miers for her looks.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home