Monday, September 19, 2005

Soundtrack To Our Lives

I don't know about you (or you), but my head is filled with songs I've heard. And, often, the song will start playing in my head when triggered by an event. Anything from a profound moment to a mundane moment. I remember when one of my girlfriends broke it off with me. The minute I realized she was with some new dude, the MP# player in my brain cued Sweetbacks "Hope She'll Be Happier With Him." (She wasn't. Ha, ha.)

I see a fair number of homeless people on my way to and from the metro. Everytime I see them, Rick James "Ghetto Life" pops into my head. In particular, the lines "when I was a young boy/tenements, slums and corner bums/playing tag with winos/only way to have some fun." Man, that must have really been fun. Remember when homeless people used to be wise winos, drunk on ripple, but filled with insights? And always up for a game of tag? Crack screwed up a lot of shit.

I vaguely remember the first time I saw a homeless dude. I think I was like eight or so. It was this guy who I thought was so ballsy, because he just stuck out his hand and asked my old man for some bread. My dad was one cheap dude; even I wouldn't think to do that. My dad started talking to him about how he ended up where he was. The guy was clearly trying to avoid talking about that. As we left, he said, "Be free." I was convinced for a brief period afterwords that homeless folk were members of a cool, free-spirited secret society. Kind of like the Masons. I was an idiot.

These days, there is one absolutely terrible song that runs through my head three or four times a day. Its killing me. Mariah Carey's "Shake It Off." I haven't have internal peace after a piss in weeks.

7 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

One of my favorite internal soundtrack stories is Magazine Man's confession that every time he walks across a room with a cup of hot liquid, "Pomp and Circumstance" plays in his head.

Ever since reading that, it happens to me too.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

SS: I remember him writing that. It was one of the more sublimely funny things I read.

Holly G: Welcome. Mariah may appeal to some, but she's too poppy, mainstream for me. That song is driving me nuts. That said, she has become a lot cooler in recent years as she's lost her mind.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

oh jeez. i admit to skimming the post yesterday and mustn't've fully read the last sentence...

Internal sound tracks may indeed be a minor annoyance (and Mariah, perhaps more than minor), but damn the visuals!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Magazine Man said...

Sadly, it's not the only song that runs through my head. Lots of instrumental stuff, usually with no name. I think Sony should market a Personal Soundtrack device that plays different themes at different moments. Just totally impressed your boss? Push a button and it plays some kind of "Ta Daaaaa!" fanfare. Did something really stupid? Play a cartoony "Wah-wah-wahhhh" or similar.

It's so nice you guys remembered by little hot-fluid quirk. Sorry I've got you doing it SS...

8:48 PM  
Blogger Stefanie said...

Once again, a wonderful insightful post that makes me wish I'd written it, but you say it so much better.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Stef: Song running through JK's mind right now, Sly & The Family Stone's "Thank You (Falettin Me Be Mice Elf Agin)." Not one of Sly's finer works, but it fits.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

rilo kiley's "does he love you?".

it's one of allie's favorite songs, and i can't get it out of my head. every time i open winamp, i have to listen to it. i love it. i love her.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home