Saturday, June 24, 2006

Not Memorable Memorables

I was talking on the phone the other day with this guy with whom I have an infrequent work relationship.

Other Guy: Yeah, so I don't know if you knew or not, but I have left Texas. My wife and I moved the family to Charlottesville.
Joseph K: Sounds good.
OG: And we owe it to you.
JK: What?
OG: Yeah, after that time you and I spoke about Charlottesville, you convinced me it was a great place to raise our kids. And so far, so fantastic!
JK: Oh.
OG: Fantastic!
JK: I heard you the first time.

I didn't even remember the conversation he was referencing. I talk to this guy maybe once a year.

But this was not the first time this has happened. When I was in high school, we were at beach week, and I got drunk on some cheap swill. I got into a conversation with a friend about his girlfriend. I don't remember what I said, but the next afternoon, he came up to me and said, "I did what you said. And, I think in the long term, you are going to be right. She's definitely not the one."

I had no idea what he was talking about. I couldn't recall the conversation at all. I thought they were a perfect couple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home