Saturday, June 10, 2006

I'll Have What She's Having

One of my boys got married today. It was an early wedding; the reception was pretty much over by 7:30. It was such a beautiful day, so, Sister K and Future-Brother-In-Law K (FBLIK) to grab a post-reception drink at this place in Dupont that has an outdoor deck.

Unfortunately, there were no outside seats, but we got a table near the patio, close enough we could feel the breeze. I ordered a beer, and Sister K and FBLIK got dirty martinis. We settled back in our seats and took in the scene.

Here is something I didn't know: there is a gay pride celebration in DC this weekend. Cool. Here is something else I didn't know: the place we were at was a recommended hang out spot for lesbians during pride weekend.

"Hey, FBLIK, I, uh, think we might be the only straight dudes in here," I said after taking in the scene.

"Really?" FBLIK is a good guy, but can sometimes be oblivious. There were only six men in the bar, and I'd bet a lot of bread I was right. Especially since two were stroking each other's thighs.

Here is something else: these were some really attractive lesbians. Seriously, I thought I'd dropped into a Penthouse letter, except they absolutely had no use for me.

"The L word is one of my favorite shows," Sister K said. FBLIK looked slightly uncomfortable. "It's like I am in an interactive episode."

"Yeah," I said, taking a long draw off of my Red Stripe. "Yeah."

Wait, maybe there was one other straight guy there. There was this 50-year-old brother who was yakking it up with these two cuties. They were laughing at his jokes, but fondling each other. He stroked one girl on her back, and she didn't seem to mind. Like a fly they weren't bothering to brush off.

"Oh, yeah, I guess you are right," FBLIK said.

"What?" I asked.

"About us being the only straight guys." FBLIK said this about 15 minutes after my first observation.

"Well, it's really these ladies' night. Let's just finish our drinks and free up the table," I said.

Grunts of agreement. We drank.

Then, a bunch of the women at the bar got up and started dancing. I have seen dirty dancing before. But, I've never seen anything like this. It was...graphic. Very graphic.

"You guys need anything else?" The waitress asked.

"I think we're -- " FBLIK started.

"One more round," I interrupted. More dancers were doing their thing.

"Another beer?" she asked.

"Oh, no. Time to upgrade. Vodka martini. Belvedere. Straight up with a twist."

"It was a nice wedding," Sister K noted.

"Beautiful," I said as I guzzled my martini and became a pig with little resistance. "Fucking beautiful."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home