Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Vacation Stories, Part 2

The best way to see a rain forest? Traversing. We spent last Friday whipping across a rain forest on an island, treetop-to-treetop on zip lines. To do so, you need the right equipment, as was shown here by our model:


The ziplines cut across a wide swath of forest, sometimes across the forest floor. Sometimes 150-200 feet above rivers. Sometimes through trees, as shown below.


It was a blast. Here, our guide is helping one of us onto a platform after one of the medium length traverses. Unlike the waterfall climbing fiasco, I managed not to hurt myself as I hurtled through the forest, sometimes crossing a thousand feet traverse at speeds of up to 35 mph.

On an aside, tequilita was speculating what I might look like the other day. I realize I known what most of you all look like, but no one has any clue what I look like. Kind of unfair. As this picture shows, I loves me some sugar cane.


P.S. Our equipment model has some disproportionately thin legs, doesn't he?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm so jealous. traversing! i need a vacation.

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home