Saturday, April 22, 2006

New Orleans Votes

The citizens of New Orleans are voting for a mayor to lead them in the next phase of the reconstruction effort (although one wonders if there really was a first phase). It may be too little to late, but Banality Fair endorses: Manny "Chevrolet" Bruno. His slogan: "A troubled man for troubled times."

Here is an excerpt from an article about his candidacy:

"Prior to the election, he explained his motto this way: 'A vote for Manny Chevrolet will not only solve a whole lot of problems for the city but it will solve a lot of problems for me, personally. I am pushing 40. I work for a grocery store. I live on the third floor above a bar and by the end of week, I can barely afford cigarettes and cocktail. I don't have a car. That is one of the reasons I am running so I can get a city car and a driver.'

Asked how he would protect city green space, Bruno told the local League of Women Voters he would 'no longer sleep in any of our city parks.' He also pledged to end patronage: 'I have no friends to pay off -- I have no friends at all.' He promised to clean up the city's littered streets with 24-hour 'chain gangs' and vowed to address the city's vacant housing problem: 'If rehab can work for me, imagine what it can do for abandoned houses.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home