Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Accident, Part 2

I was waiting for about ten minutes when my friend T drove up. I'd asked her to come by and give me a ride home eventually.

"So, how long before the tow truck comes?" she asked.

"I dunno. Maybe a couple of hours."

"Are you serious?!?"

"Apparently not," I said. A tow truck was coming our way. I flagged him down.

He opened the door and loud music exploded out of the tow truck. The tow truck guy leaned out, snarled at me and said, "Yeah." He was in his late twenties, covered in all kinds of not so creative tatoos, and clad in a LeBron James jersey.

"So, are you from AAA?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"Ok."

So, tow truck guy hooks up the front of my car and starts lifting it up.

"Wait," I said. "The back tire is basically shredded."

"Shit, why didn't you say that in the first place. We have to hook it up front the rear. Shit, man, you should have said something. Goddam."

Once he finished his conniption, I turned what was left of my car around and backed it up.

"Rear wheel drive?" tow truck guy spat.

"No, all wheel drive."

He looked confused. "Ok. Well, I guess we...uh, put it in neutral and leave the engine running, I guess."

He guesses?

So, he hooked up the car. "Where is it going?"

"______ on ___________ in __________."

"I'm not sure where that is. I'll follow you."

"Ok, you know how to get to _______________?"

"Yeah," tow truck guy said.

"Ok, I am not sure how to get there, but I can guide you from there. So we'll follow you until that point, and then you follow us."

"Whatever. Anyway, you know there is a $65 charge and its $3 a mile."

"What? No, I spoke to AAA, there is no $65 fee. Just the $3 a mile, with the first three miles free."

"You want me to leave your shit here?"

"Look dude, you saw the car. I almost died today for Christ's sake --"

"That's not my problem."

"Go ahead. Let's go."

And we were off. The first thing I did was call his office from my cell.

"Hello ____ Towing."

"Hi, I am Joseph K. Your driver responded to my AAA request."

"Yes sir. Did he find you?"

"Yes, but he said there is a $65 administrative fee."

"No, not at all you are AAA. He knows better."

"Could you -- what's going on?!?"

"What?" the tow truck company employee asked.

"Hold on one second please. T, what the fuck?!?"

We were flying down 295 at about 90 miles per hour, trying to keep up with the tow truck guy. My car, apparently loosely secured, was swaying back and forth.

"We're losing him!" I exclaimed.

"My car cannot go any faster," T exclaimed. It's true. Her car is a piece of shit.

I was like Kirk yelling at Scotty to get more power to the Enterprise's engines. "Come on, gun it! Gun it!"

"Sir," the tow truck employee said.

"Yes, sorry. We're trying to keep up with your driver who is doing 90 with my car attached."

"What can I do for you sir?"

"Tell him to slow down and that we are not charged a $65 administrative fee. And I think we've lost him. The address is ________"

"Ok."

We lost my car. Temporarily. He managed to find the autobody shop.

"Alright, that's 13 miles. Three are free. So that's $30 plus $65, so $95."

"No, I talked to your office. They confirmed that I don't pay the $65 administrative fee."

"That's wrong. It's $95."

"Let's call together, shall we." My voice was loud and I was in his face. He was big, tatooed and strong. And maybe a an ex-con. The autobody shop was off on a deserted street.

"Ok," he said. He seemed less sure of himself. Already long story short, the tow truck employee confirmed I was right.

"So," I said to the driver,"It's $30. You got change for $40."

"Not at all."

"Well, I have a $20 and six ones. I am sure my friend T has change. Hold on one sec -- "

"Why don't you give it to me as a tip?" Yes, he was serious.

"Fine. Leave the car over there."

He lowered the car into place and then said, "alright, brother, you have a good day."

I looked at him long and hard and said, "Fuck off." He was driving away at the time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharfa said...

Tow truck driver: not exactly a noble profession it seems.

Are you positive he was from AAA? I've heard about tow companies listening in on radios for AAA calls and trying to beat them to the tow.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Yeah, he was from AAA. The office confirmed that they got the call from AAA. He just figured I was a mark, and though he had a vunerable person he could make some bread off of.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home