Monday, July 11, 2005

Joseph K Cheats Death

So I almost died yesterday. Or almost became an invalid. If you saw what remained of my car, you'd think I was starring in the sequel to "Unbreakable." It's a long story that I'll tell in my next post.

There were actually -- to me -- some funny parts to the story. But, what's been happening this morning takes the proverbial cake. Since about 7:30 this morning I have gotten 5 telephone calls from shady law firms trying to cash in on what happened (apparently they came across information about the accident on some sort of database). I have to say they are very creative. They basically traffic in vagueness. One smooth guy claimed to be "an investigator from D.C." Another woman botched her schpiel by asking for "Ms. K." After about three questions (unfortunately for them, I am a lawyer and more work involves investigations), they all eventually revealed that they were representatives from bottomfeeder law firms trying to get in on the action arising out of the accident that nearly ended my life.

Nevertheless, it's been giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I mean these firms have called 5 times. My parents have only called twice since it happened. Clearly, my extended law firm family loves me more.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharfa said...

I hope your injuries were minimal!

At least you didn't damage your funny bone.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all is well. FYI - the cops & EMS workers get kickbacks to refer clients.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Magazine Man said...

Holy crap. Near-death car accidents are no joke. Hope you're doing okay. Keep us posted.

Glad you're alive and (one hopes) well. --MM

9:01 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Thanks guys. I am doing pretty well, all things considered. By the way, I am up to 10 unsolicited calls from shady law firms (five tonight on answering machine when I got home). Any takers on what the finally tally will be?

10:15 PM  
Blogger Sharfa said...

I'll bite - 17.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Only one today. So we are at 11, but I am not sure it is over yet. Still, I am feeling unloved. :(

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home