Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Unbreaking News

I don't know if anyone cares, given the yeoman's job Joseph K does in my absence, but I feel like I ought to post something, since I haven't put up a word in weeks. I guess it's easy to be lazy when you have a blogger-in-crime who is more dedicated to the task at hand and will ensure that the blog doesn't stagnate. And, let me tell you, when I have the opportunity to be lazy, I embrace it enthusiastically. Have couch, will sit.

Words are like water for me. Once the faucet is open, they will continue to flow. But once I've twisted the knob and turned the faucet off, it takes effort -- unlaziness -- to get them to flow again. So here's my effort to open the faucet a little, by offering up a few words.

I wish I had something really exciting to report about my life in the last few weeks. But I don't. In fact, what seems to be happening, slowly but surely, is that I am turning into an old fart. I find myself doing things that, ten years ago, would have provoked spittle and derision from me. Like playing golf. I own golf shoes and everything. At least I play only on ratty, egalitarian public courses. And at least Joseph K is almost always at my side, mitigating the guilt I have about playing one of the most classist and utterly excessive games invented by humankind.

Other than paying money to whack a small white ball around on a large amount of wasted green space, I'm watching baseball and sitting on my ass.

Carry on. Hopefully I'll share something more interesting than the foregoing sometime soon.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Care to make any baseball predictions?

1:23 PM  
Blogger Henry Baum said...

The Nationals are going to fall apart and the Mets are going to win the division. Probably not.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

Truth be told, a lot of my baseball attention is dedicated toward remedial lessons necessitated by a 15-year gap in my baseball fandom. I grew up a KC Royals fan, then went off for college, law school, and work in cities whose baseball teams didn't appeal to me. Simultaneously, the Royals started to suck royally and I became pissed at the financial inequities of baseball, so I dropped out.

Now my city just got a team -- the Nationals -- and I'm back into it. And I'm reading Moneyball now, which goes a long way toward rebutting the financial inequity argument.

But forget the Mets. Either Florida or Atlanta will step up to win the NL East. I'm pulling for a wildcard spot for the Nats.

I'm also praying that the Yankees finish under .500 and George Steinbrenner's head explodes.

And I pray that the Royals lose fewer than 100 games. But I wouldn't call it a prediction

3:43 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

I say the Brooklyn Dodgers pull it out in the NL East. A dead good team is more likely to win the NL East than any of the other scrub teams in the division.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Sharfa said...

blah, blah, blah, baseball....just please tell me you don't wear those funny pants when you are playing golf?
(grins like a cheshire cat)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

I wouldn't find solace re the class issue in playing golf with me. I think there is plenty of evidence to suggest that I am a bourgeois pig.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Charlie said...

I don't wear pants when I play golf. I play in me knickers! Well, shorts.

But, I flip off the establishment by refusing to wear a collared shirt, and instead wearing a ratty t-shirt. (Sometimes.) (When permitted by course rules.)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Sharfa said...

You rebels.

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home