Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Are You A Drain On The Earth's Resources?

A friend of mine passed along this test designed measure you individual impact on the Earth and its resources. There are only about 4.5 acres of productive acres per person on this planet. How many acres do you, based on your activities and consumption, require?

Shockingly, I require 60 acres of productive land. In other words, if everyone consumed as many resources as me, one would need 13.6 "Earths" worth of productive acreage. Shit. My guess it that it has to do with all the resources I consume with my hectic work travel schedule (lots of environmentally unfriendly flying, etc.).

Well, now I need to rethink my cynicism for all those rover space missions. We clearly need to find and colonize more habitable planets to feed my unreasonable resource demands.

Take the test and post your results on the comments page: http://www.myfootprint.org/

9 Comments:

Blogger Charlie said...

29 acres; 6.4 planets. I guess it's because I walk everywhere.

I can't believe it asked whether I have electricity. Who do they think I am, a Rockefeller? [Turns handcrank on laptop computer]

10:46 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Much better than me. I get the feeling that site is run by a bunch of Malthusians.

10:57 PM  
Blogger tequilita said...

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 21

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE ME, WE WOULD NEED 4.7 PLANETS.

...i don't think houston is a very eco-friendly city, i drive everywhere, and eat a lot of animal products, eggs and cheese and chicken. yum. i think that's probably what got me.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Earl Cootie said...

22 acres, 4.9 planets. Crap. It was the running water that done me in..... But can't I get some points for not breeding? (Or lose them if that's the way this works?)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Earl Cootie said...

Nah, I didn't think that would go over. I thought of some more ways to change the test and make me look better, but they probably wouldn't work either. So I just took the test over, this time lying my ass off, and hey, you know what? I rock! 4 acres and 1 planet!
Man, just think, if this whole lying business were to take off in, say, the public sphere, we could just watch our worries evaporate in like nothing flat.

7:06 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Seruously, I think the only way you could "pass" this test would be if you lied or were Amish.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I consume only 9 acres. What kind of lifestyles do you people lead?

4:50 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Hey The Unknown Blogger (hereinafter referred to by his initials "TUB"). I hope Galacticus hasn't eaten the other 14 planets me and my ilk require to sustain ourselves. Hopefully, he's satiated eating gas giants and such.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

A vegan participant in the survey told me last night she used up 4.9 acres. Even veganism won't save the planet! By my rough estimation, we'd need another tenth of a planet to cover vegans' excesses.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home