Friday, December 31, 2004

It's a Morbid, Morbid World

Has anyone else noticed the sudden proliferation of books that are comprised of lists of things that one is directed to see, do, visit, or otherwise interact with before death? It's weird. You can buy:

- 1,000 Places to See Before You Die

- 2,001 Things to Do Before You Die. (For the really, really healthy.)

- 101 Things to Do Before You Die. (For the not so healthy.)

- Ten Fun Things To Do Before You Die. (For the terminally ill.)

- Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die.

- 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.

- Fifty Places to Fly Fish Before You Die. (You think I'm joking, but I'm not.)

Bookstores have really become depressing. What's next? "1,001 Cemetery Plots You Should Consider Before You Die"? "Ten Fun Ways To Kill Yourself"?

Am I the only one who fails, on a daily basis, to ask myself whether there is some activity in which I could be engaging that simply must be done before I die? Is there really an army of people out there who, nearly every day, are galavanting around the world and participating in fantastic activities in perpetual anticipation of death (and jamming in a few hundred ultra-classic movies while they're at it)?

I live my life according to a much shorter text, "Three Things To Do Before You Die": (1) Eat; (2) Watch TV; (3) Sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home