Saturday, January 29, 2005

Keeping It Real...Graduate School Edition

I was out with some friends last night, one of whom was a graduate school student and a teaching assistant for several courses. He was telling the story of this particularly...challenged...student in his class when the following exchange took place.

Friend 1 (the T.A.): I bent over backward to help this girl. She just couldn't do it. I mean she couldn't put a sentence together.

Friend 2 (another graduate student): Maybe she has a learning disability. Writing anxiety or something.

Friend 1: You know, I don't buy all that. People are always coming up with different ways to explain away stupidity.

2 Comments:

Blogger tequilita said...

the best thing you can do to learn how to write is read a lot...i don't read a lot, so it's not like i would know. but if i knew that girl, that would be my suggestion to her. i don't think there are that many truly stupid people. she can learn, she just has to really want it, and she probably doesn't. like me and the guitar, i hope the fact that i still can't play that damn thing doesn't mean i'm stupid -haven't given up yet.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Some real good points, Kimberly. I tried to learn how to play guitar but I have remarkably bad-hand eye coordination. Aside from "Smeels Like Teen Spirit" (remarkbaly easy song to learn), I couldn't play anything. Musically, I am "challenged."

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home