Saturday, May 28, 2005

They Came On Bikes

Driving around downtown D.C. this afternoon was a disaster. The city has been overwhelmed by a plague of motorcycle riding Vietnam Vets, biker babes, and wannabe stragglers who are choking the main downtown thoroughfares with obnoxiously loud hogs. At one point, Elsa growled in disgust at them, and seemed to want to crush one dwadler. Elsa is my car, and she can be a bit high strung. Especially in unfamiliar crowds.

Every Memorial Day, thousands of bikers descend upon my lovely city. I don't get the connection between Vietnam, POWs and motorcycles. Mostly the bikers I saw were just cruising around slowly, cutting across traffic with reckless abandon, and just trying to be seen. And frankly, I don't care what the connection is. All I know is I was driving back to my house, and suddenly it was like I took a wrong turn and ended up in Sturgess. At one point, this woman actually flashed a minivan with Maryland tags carrying a family of five. In honor of those who didn't come home from 'Nam, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home