Monday, December 11, 2006

The Coroner Flirts

So, I was at a party Saturday night, staring at this tall, light-skinned black guy with his hair in a pony tail. I knew him from somewhere. Or "somewheres," it seemed. I couldn't place him. As I pondered it, an older woman (it was an older person's party) asked me to dance. Heck, someone did.

As I was dancing with her, I saw the tall guy make a beeline for my girlfriend. He leaned in close and started to kick it to her. I was was too busy grooving to Earth, Wind and Fire to do anything about it.

Later on, I asked her what was up.

"He's from your favorite show, The Wire."

I stared at him for a second, "Oh yeah." The guy played Dr. Frazier, the coroner on the wire. He only appeared in a few episodes, but I remembered him. He also played drug kingpin Luther Mahoney on Homicide: Life on the Streets.

"So what did he say?" I asked.

"He was kind of hitting on me."

"The guy from The Wire? Awesome."

I went to go get a Diet Coke. When I came back to join her, she was kind of leaning away from a man in his fifties, who was leaning into her.

"Hey," I said joining them.

"Hey, Joseph," she said relieved. "This is [Ambassador from a Caribbean country]."

"Hi," I said. Even though I'd goofed it up for him, he was pleasant.

"So," he said, "What do you do?"

"I work at [Joseph K's job]."

The rest of the conversation was an uncomfortable exchange about money laundering in the Caribbean. Then a pause. Then [Ambassador from a Caribbean country] left to hit on an attractive fortish woman with long curly black hair.

On the way out, "Dr. Frazier" gave Girlfriend K a kiss on the cheek.

"Was he trying for more than the cheek?" I asked.

"Maybe," she said.

"Awesome."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home