Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I Like Beer

I like beer. A lot. In fact, I think the only people I like more than beer is my family. And, that is because I have to. Sorry to the rest of you, my current and future friends, I will like beer more than you. To you reading this, I'd trade you for a bottle of La Fin Du Monde without hesitation. But, you probably have a favorite sweater that you like more than me, so we're both shallow and, therefore, even.

If you like beer too, you'll probably appreciate this site as much as I do: Rate Beer. If you type in the name of virtually every beer that is brewed anywhere in the world in the search window at the top right, you'll get a review.

The reviews are fairly sophisticated, with reviewers sounding much like a learned wine taster would. Take this review one of my favorites that I purchase regularly Sierra Nevada Pale Ale: "pours a light amber colour with little head. The nose is hoppy, with some light fruits, grapefruit, lemon, and a very faint musky nutty aroma which keeps this from turning into lemonade. The palate was carbonated with a refreshing zesty finish. A nice light beer."

Classy. My review would have been. "Tastes good. I want more."

What I especially love about the site is that it reviews crappy beers with the same erudition, seriousness and rigorous analysis. Take this review of Budweiser: "Pale and watery, with a slight baking soda taste. Clean and somewhat refreshing if there is nothing else, but definatly "king" because of marketing. To think of all the independants who have gone belly up or lessened their brews or sold out because of the overagressive mercahndising of this beer...While not bad, not good either!"

Crappy spelling aside (like I should talk -- spell checking is for obsessive-compulsives and communists), I think its fair to say that this fellow wasted the three or so minutes he took to write a thoughtful review of a what is visually and in effect a bottle of carbonated urine.

This review of Pabst Blue Ribbon amused and troubled me: "The first time I have ever tasted this beer. Light yellow color. The head is very large initially and retains fairly well considering it’s a macro. Unbelievably disgusting oceanic aroma (sea water, salt, seaweed) along with light grains and corn. Watery, corny flavor with hints of light grains and sauvignon blanc. Terrifying. "

Lots of sexual imagery. Replace the word "beer" with privates, and this could be a review of what went on (and went wrong) in a college frat room when some of the guys had too much Pabst. Leaving that aside, this reviewer is such a dandy. Being "terrified" by a Pabst is like being terrified by a little girl grimacing at you.

Anyway, one can spend hours on the site typing in any beer you have had or are curious about having and get some good or at least amusing reviews, an overall rating, availability, alcohol content, etc. You have to become a member to get more than the latest three or four reviews, but even as a non-member the site is a resource.

7 Comments:

Blogger Stefanie said...

I was just daydreaming about beer yesterday! Mix: half a Guiness with half of a Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat and you get: a Black Cherry. I've been craving one lately. SOOO good.

3:13 AM  
Blogger Magazine Man said...

Well, that's just great. Now I've got Pabst Blue Ribbon on my mind...at 9 in the morning!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Tallyflute said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Tallyflute said...

Check out this website. As a beer lover, I think you'll appreciate it. http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/micro/gallery/beer/beer.html

9:21 AM  
Blogger tequilita said...

"spell checking is for obsessive-compulsives"....what the hell is wrong with obsessive compulsives?!...i'm down with OCD.

i like beer too, when it's free.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

Sounds a little froofee, but I might have to try this black cherry.

K, free beer? Tell me more about this heaven of which you speak.

Dancewriter, cool site.

TUB, too many.

9:23 PM  
Blogger tequilita said...

well, i just meant that it tastes greater and is less filling when someone else is buying.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home