Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Someone evacuate me

Today I found myself actually wishing I was being evacuated from Beirut. Feeling pangs of jealousy as I clicked on all the news sites, I wanted to be taking off in a helicopter bound for Cyprus. I wanted to board a ship as Israeli bombs thundered in the distance.

I was that bored at work.

Is my job that bad? Not really. It's like an annoying friend whom you've decided to accept. Not that your friend isn't annoying anymore, they just don't bother you quite as much as they did when you first met them. You grow used to their constancy, their irritating presence, that peculiar smell they have. You can't really escape them - they would call constantly, wondering where you are - but every once in a while, you get a few precious hours, or even days, when you're free of them. But there they are when you come back. You think they're OK, though you'd trade up immediately if given the chance.

Every once in a while, though, that friend makes you long to jump out a window. "Anything," you say to yourself as you prepare to break the glass, "anything is better than this."

A colleague of mine just left work for a two-month medical leave. Appears she has "shingles." I still don't really understand what "shingles" are, but her doctor informed her that she needed to take some R&R to get rid of them. So, she's going to travel in France for a few months, hoping her condition improves.

Now I want shingles, too. I don't think I would want to have shingles while I was being evacuated from Beirut. But then again, on a day like today, would that be better or worse than jumping out my window?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

you can get time off for shingles AND get to travel to France while you're at it??!! Damn. I want them too. (although, the people I know who have had them found this resurrection of the chicken pox a bit uncomfortable, to say the least)

2:43 PM  
Blogger Joseph K said...

I think shingles is when you start developing some roof-related health complications. Rectangular vinyl strips on your back, etc. Not very comfortable, but I think you end up being more water-resistant.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home