Sunday, October 30, 2005

Schadenfreude

I recently wrote an e-mail to a friend of mine, attaching one of the many recent stories about Bush Administration Cronies Getting What's Coming To Them. Harkening back to one of Joseph K's recent posts on intelligent design, I noted that, perhaps, yes, "there is a god." Those long arms Mr. K mentioned, however, here, turn out to be the long, long arms of the law.

I can scarcely contain my glee that Tom Delay features in a mug shot, that Bill Frist is being investigated by the SEC, that Scooter Libby has been indicted, and that Karl Rove may be next. The conservative base is, finally, splitting apart. I'm heartened that Harriet Miers is out of the Supreme Court picture, and I don't even care that her and her "best President ever's" trumped-up reasons for withdrawing her nomination don't withstand scrutiny. I do remain distinctly uncomfortable that various sundry conservatives agreed with me about Miers, but I try to put that out of my mind and pretend it didn't happen. It's eerie that all the Troubles are happening at roughly the same time, but, I guess, if everyone is shitting at the same time, at some point the pot's got to overflow.

In some circles, perhaps, it would be considered un-American to revel in the fact that All the President's Men (and Women) are scrambling about, suddenly unhinged from their smug senses of entitlement and righteousness that were at odds with the law, sane foreign policy, and fiscal discipline. However, while I celebrate whatever intelligent designer has decided to put a stop to, or at least a brake on, the evolution of the neocons and their brazen, nonsensical philosophies, I can't celebrate the ruin they've visited upon our country and its reputation. It's going to take generations to win back what they've lost. Schadenfreude be damned.

And, let's not forget, we've got three more years of this crap. What could possibly be next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home